Verification and Validation
Why Do We Need Assessment and Audits?
History tells us that the largest contributor to Incidents caused by control and safety system failures is the Specification phase (44%). Through Verification and Validation, Assessment and Audits the aim is to remove the human error as much as possible.
To ensure all life cycle phases are completed to the best of our ability we verify the information at the end of each phase. This ensures that the information being passed forward to the next phase is correct. Verification is completed by an experienced, competent engineer who was not involved with the development of the document being verified.
To validate through inspection and testing that the installed and commissioned safety instrumented system and its associated safety instrumented functions achieve the requirements as stated in the safety requirement specification. Validation is carried out at the end of the Project / Modification, before hazards are present in the process. Validation verifies that the conditions set out in the SRS have been met.
Functional Safety Assessments
There are 5 functional safety assessments during the life cycle of a safety system, with FAS3 being mandatory and must be completed prior to hazards being introduced to the process. All FAS’s must be carried out with sufficient independence and are there to ensure the functional safety life cycle has been adeared to.
What we do
Using TUV certified Functional Safety Engineers we are able to provide:
- Verification reports for all parts of the life cycle and internal verification activities where documents have been developed by Fulcran on behalf of the client
- Developing validation documentation to ensure;
- SIS performs in all operating modes as identified by the SRS
- Sensor, logic solver and final elements perform in accordance with the SRS
- SIS documentation is consistent with the installed system
- SIS resets, bypass, start up overrides and manual functions perform as per the SRS
- Proof test intervals are documented in the maintenance systems
- Diagnostic functions perform as required
- Support with Software testing;
- Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT)
- Site Acceptance Testing (SAT)
For more information on Functional Safety Services please use the “Contact Us” page or give us a call.